Kathy Speaker MacNett focuses her practice on management-side labor relations, employment law and related legislative and regulatory developments. Her practice combines preventive approaches as well as representation of employers before federal and state administrative agencies and courts. Ms. MacNett represents public and private sector employers and non-profit organizations in a wide range of labor and employment law matters including workers’ and unemployment compensation proceedings, FMLA issues, prevailing wage disputes, discrimination complaints, Affirmative Action prevention and investigations, restrictive covenant enforcements, handbook preparation, unfair labor practices, union organizational defenses, collective bargaining negotiations, strikes, injunction and contempt proceedings. Kathy also serves as Legislative Counsel to the Pennsylvania Propane Gas Association. Ms. MacNett utilizes her practical knowledge of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of state government to gain effective results for her clients before and during litigation. She is a frequent speaker and webinar presenter for the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce and other organizations.
Prior to joining Skarlatos & Zonarich, Ms. MacNett was a shareholder with the Harrisburg office of Buchanan Ingersoll, P.C. and associated with the law firm of Baskin, Flaherty, Elliott & Beren. She also has significant governmental experience as the Research Director to the Labor Relations Committee, Pennsylvania House of Representatives, clerk to the late Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice, Honorable Roy Wilkinson, and Assistant Counsel to the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board.
Contributing Author for numerous years to BNA or ACCR publications on:
- The Fair Labor Standards Act
- The Family Medical Leave Act
- Wage and Hour Laws: A State-by-State Survey
- Model Policies and Forms For Pennsylvania Employers
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Dickinson School of Law, now Penn State, J.D.
- St. Francis College, M.A. (Industrial Relations)
- University of Pennsylvania, M.G.A. (Government Administration)
- Immaculata College, now University, B.A., cum laude.
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Bar and American Bar Associations, Active in the ABA’s Federal Labor Standards Committee
- Board Member and former Finnegan Intern, James A. Finnegan Foundation
- Member, Labor Employment Research Association, Central Pennsylvania Chapter
- Capitol Area Neighbors Steering Committee
- Board of Harrisburg Catholic Elementary School
- Member, Legatus
Special Achievements, Awards and Honors
- Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers’ Society, Inc. Board of Directors Service Award
- 2006 People to People China Delegate
Reported Cases (List Incomplete)
- D&H Distrib. v. Thumma, 13 A.3d 987 (Pa. Super. 2010)(Restrictive covenant enforcement affirmed without opinion).
- CEC Credits OnLine v. Unemployment Compensation Board of Review, 946 A.2d 1162 (Pa. Comm. Ct. 2008), petition for allowance of appeal denied (2009)(Worker was a bona fide independent contractor, not an employee).
- Kraus v. Howroyd-Wright Employment Agency, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1254, Civil Action 06-975 (E.D. Pa. Jan. 8, 2008).
- Boyds Collection, Ltd. v. Stephen C. Chambliss, et. al, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13901. (M.D. Pa. 2005).